Sunday, April 15, 2012

Bee-fore and After

This is the Marcos I've always known and loved--happy, enthusiastic, easy to please. That was before--before he got his tonsils out.
This is the Marcos I love now--today was his fourth day after surgery. Since he's so young (the tender little guy's only three) I didn't really believe the doctor when he said every day would be worse for about a week. The doctor was right. Marcos cries a lot and gets shaky and hysterical. It brings tears to my eyes. The pain medication burns his throat going down. The other morning I was trying to get him to take it. "This will help you feel better," I said. "But I'm not getting better!" He sounded so sad and desperate. I am learning how difficult it would be to have a chronically ill child. I feel blessed that my children are usually very healthy and that this is a temporary situation for little Marcos. I took this picture of him today and said, "Should we take a picture of you for Grandma and Grandpa?" He said yes, and without any prompting from me, said a weak little, "Cheese." Bless his heart.
Yesterday was a surprise 40th birthday party for my brother-in-law, Robert. He's a beekeeper (among many other things) and so I made him a beehive cake. I had made the bees bee-fore Marcos's surgery. I had made a few more than forty and put everything away when I caught Marcos (the bee-fore surgery, normal Marcos) eating one. After counting, I realized he'd eaten seven! I had to get everything out again and make more bees. Now Marcos won't eat anything. I wouldn't mind if he'd eat a bee or two.
Robert was a great sport. Here he is wearing a bee mask Marianne got for him. Our other news of the week is that we are the proud owners of a German Wirehair Pointer. Lili has always wanted a dog and lately she's been even more insistent that she get one. She wrote me a letter this week, saying "Pleese can I have a dog? Even just a littel one." I refuse to take responsibility for her wobbly spelling. It turned out that this week we found out about a family that needed a home for Hunter--our new dog. Hunter is great with the kids and doesn't bark at night, and seems like a nice enough fellow--for a dog. He also has an incredible amount of energy and a great desire to run all the time. I weigh quite a lot now, but it is difficult for me to control him. There's no way Lili could take him on a walk by herself, but we're hoping to get him used to us and our home here and then maybe he won't try to run away. He got away three times yesterday--his collar was too loose. Now he has a new collar and he's doing better. Lili is so happy with him. Her happiness is worth a lot.


5 comments:

Thelma said...

poor sad Marcos! That breaks my heart. I hope he feels better soon. Lili looks so pretty. I'd get her a dog too. (Emma is reading over my shoulder...she's pretty too. Just not dog pretty.)

Hannah Stevenson said...

Oh this post brought tears to my eyes...first sad tears for poor Marcos (and the "cheese" part...sweet, sweet boy!) and then happy tears for wonderful Robert and Lili getting a dog. What a wonderful life you have over there dear cousin!

Cnbztribe said...

Great update!
Poor Marcos I hope he's feeling better soon. I too am sooo glad for healthy children...and Clint and my health.
"If you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything." -Princess Bride
Yea! Robert for getting "over the hill" and yea! for Lili for finally getting a dog. My kids have been asking for one for a long time too....well Elsa hasn't. If she had her way she'd have a cat.
Have a great day!

Jennifer said...

I just want to hug that dear Marcos. I hope he's better now. We miss him.

The cake is amazing!! Good job.

Lili and Hunter are adorable. I'll show Isaiah in the morning. When I told him about Hunter he asked if we could have a double playdate - Lili AND Huter to come play with Isaiah and Buddy. Could be very exciting.

We miss you guys!

Mark Dahl said...

I love the photos of the cake and Robert and of Lili and Hunter. Lili looks so happy. The cake is so cute. I hate to see Marcos looking so sad. I hope he is well soon.

Your mom